Comberton Twinning - History
History of twinning of Comberton with the village of Le Vaudreuil, near Rouen in France.
In 1997 Malcolm Wright heard about another twinned village, and started raising the concept for Comberton.
It moved towards reality in 1998 when Malcolm and Nerys Wright, and Ivan and Brenda Brown went off to investigate possible partners.
Le Vaudreuil had the advantages that it was like Comberton a village near to a university city (Rouen), and was (just) within a distance
that could be driven on a Friday evening, and back on Sunday afternoon, to allow a trip within a weekend.
The first twinning ceremony took place in Comberton in September 1999 when the twinning Charter was signed by Bernard Leroy as Mayor of Le Vaudreuil
and Robert James as Chairman of the Comberton Parish Council, together with Malcom Wright and Nicole Cissť-Bosquet for the two twinning committees.
The first return visit to Le Vaudreuil for their twinning ceremony took place during May, 2000. Since then there have been two visits a year in Spring and Autumn.
Malcom Wright was the first chairman of the Comberton twinning committee for seven years, followed by Peter Mitton for 10 years, followed by Paul Hardy.
For more background on the formation of the twinning, and the main events since, see CTA History and Happenings.
Pictures of Twinning Ceremonies
|| Signing in Le Vaudreuil|| Unveiling sign in Le Vaudreuil
Autumn 2019 Trip to France - 20-22 September 2019. We left by coach at 4pm, crossing by Eurotunnel shuttle, arriving by 11pm British time.
The French provided a boat trip on the Seine in Rouen, a musical supper, and a lunch at the Golf. As well we had time doing our own thing with the French host families.
We left at 3:30pm and returned by ferry. A good time was had by all.
Spring 2019 - Despite Brexit, 37 French came to Comberton for 5-7 April 2019.
As this was the 20th anniversary of the start of the twinning, there was a programme of activities including a tour of Cambridge with Blue Badge guides (in French and English),
a commemoration lunch at Girton College on the Sunday, and a pot-luck supper with entertainment at the Village Hall on the Saturday.
June 2018 Trip to France for Millennial Festivities -
We left on Friday evening at 4pm in order not to exclude schoolchildren and teachers, and we arrived in Le Vaudreuil around midnight local time.
The date of 8-10 June was chosen to coincide with a medieval festival weekend to celebrate one thousand years of the church of Le Vaudreuil.
We were lucky with the weather, and spent the Saturday taking in the various medieval and Viking events, culminating in us participating in a memorable medieval-themed procession
around the village in late afternoon. After spending Sunday morning with host families, we then all met for an excellent reception and lunch,
before returning on Sunday afternoon, arriving here around 9:30 pm. In all, an excellent visit.
Autumn 2017 -
We welcomed a contingent of 37 French from Le Vaudreuil on October 27-29, for what was generally felt to be a very successful twinning weekend.
For the first time, they did not stop for a day in London, so arrived here in late afternoon. We held a hog roast and ceilidh at Meridian School on the Saturday evening,
and had a caller who paired French and English participants together for each dance, so that all had fun.
Spring 2017 -
The exchange visit to France planned for April 2017 was cancelled due to low numbers and high costs for peak period travel, and being not long after previous vist in October.
Autumn 2016 -
The last outward exchange was the 28-30th October 2016, from Comberton to France, pausing in Boulogne for a vist to Nausicaa.
Spring 2016 -
The previous exchange was a visit by the French from Le Vaudreuil to Comberton on 15-17th April 2016.
Annual General Meeting Minutes and Chairman's Reports
- Twinning_Initiative Formation Meeting in January 1999. This was the meeting when Le Vaudreuil was proposed as the first choice for twinning partner.
- Twinning Meeting in September 1999. This was the meeting when the Comberton Twinning Association was proposed and accepted.
- Twinning_AGM_2001 Minutes. This was the first AGM of Comberton Twinning Association.
- Twinning_AGM_2002 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2003 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2004 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2004.
- Twinning_AGM_2005 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2005.
- Twinning_AGM_2006 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2006.
- Twinning_AGM_2007 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2007.
- Twinning_AGM_2008 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2008.
- Twinning_AGM_2009 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2009.
- Twinning_AGM_2010 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2010.
- Twinning_AGM_2011 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2011.
- Twinning_AGM_2012 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2013 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2014 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2015 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2016 Minutes.
- Twinning_AGM_2017 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2017.
- Twinning_AGM_2018 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2018.
- Twinning_AGM_2019 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2019.
- Twinning_AGM_2020 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2020.
- Twinning_AGM_2021 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2021.
- Twinning_AGM_2022 Minutes, and Chairman's Report 2022.
Go up to Twinning home page